top of page
Snow-covered mountains in Alberta, symbolizing the serene location of Jade Sunrise Law. Our legal team offers comprehensive services in English and Chinese, specializing in corporate commercial, civil litigation, family law, real estate, immigration, wills and estates, and notary services.
  • Instagram
  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • TikTok



At Jade Sunrise Law, we provide comprehensive legal services in both English and Chinese, ensuring that our clients receive the professional support they need in the language they're most comfortable.  Our experienced team specializes in a wide range of practice areas, including corporate commercial, civil litigation, family law, real estate, immigration, wills and estates, and notary services.

Navigating the complexities of legal matters can be challenging, but at Jade Sunrise Law we're committed to guiding you through the process with personalized, expert advice.  Our dedicated lawyers boast extensive legal experience and fluency in English and Chinese, allowing us to effectively serve a diverse clientele.

We understand that affordability is important to our clients, which is why we offer reasonable fees and flat fee services for selected legal matters. Our commitment to client satisfaction and effective communication sets us apart in the industry.

At Jade Sunrise Law, we take pride in serving both local communities and international investors interested in doing business in Canada. By offering our legal expertise and culturally sensitive approach, we aim to create a seamless experience for our clients, regardless of their background or the nature of their legal needs.

Discover how Jade Sunrise Law can make a difference in your life. Explore our website to learn more about our services, or get in touch with us today!


Jade Sunrise Law Logo

Jade Sunrise Law, formerly known as Kathy Zhang Law Firm, was founded in January 2016 by Kathy Zhang, also known as Hongqian Zhang. As a law firm with a unique blend of Chinese and Canadian legal expertise, our vision is to provide exceptional legal services to our clients while embracing the use of technology to enhance our services and efficiency.

Iconic marble pillar representing Jade Sunrise Law's commitment to justice and exceptional legal services. Formerly known as Kathy Zhang Law Firm, founded in January 2016 by Kathy Zhang (Hongqian Zhang), we bring a unique blend of Chinese and Canadian legal expertise to meet the diverse needs of our clients. Embracing technology for enhanced services and efficiency.


Jade Sunrise Law Logo








5-star review for our leagal service
This Law Firm provides excellent services. Highly recommended.
  • What is the difference between a divorce and a legal separation in Alberta?
    Divorce legally ends a marriage, allowing both parties to remarry. Legal separation is an arrangement where a couple remains married but lives separately, often with a formal agreement outlining their rights and responsibilities.
  • How do I file for divorce in Alberta, and what are the residency requirements?
    To file for divorce in Alberta, at least one spouse must have lived in the province for at least one year. You can file a Statement of Claim for Divorce with the Court of King's Bench, which should include information about grounds for divorce, custody, support, and property division.
  • What are the grounds for divorce in Alberta?
    The main ground for divorce in Alberta (and all of Canada) is the breakdown of the marriage. This can be demonstrated by living separate and apart for at least one year, or by proving adultery or physical/mental cruelty.
  • How is child custody determined in Alberta, and what factors are considered by the court?
    In Alberta, courts decide custody based on the best interests of the child. Factors considered include the child's physical, emotional, and educational needs, the child's relationship with each parent, and the parents' ability to care for the child.
  • How is child support calculated in Alberta, and what expenses does it cover?
    In Alberta, child support is calculated using the Federal Child Support Guidelines, based on the paying parent's income and the number of children. Child support covers basic living expenses, such as food, clothing, and housing.
  • Can child support or spousal support be modified after a divorce in Alberta?
    Child support and spousal support can be modified in Alberta if there has been a material change in circumstances, such as a significant change in income, the needs of the child, or the financial situation of either party.
  • What is the process for dividing property and assets in Alberta during a divorce?
    Dividing Property: In Alberta, matrimonial property (acquired during the marriage) is generally divided equally between spouses. This includes assets and debts. Exceptions can be made in some circumstances, such as if one spouse brought significant assets into the marriage.
  • How is spousal support determined in Alberta, and what factors are considered by the court?
    Spousal support in Alberta is determined based on factors like the length of the marriage, the roles each spouse played during the marriage, the financial needs of each spouse, and their ability to become self-sufficient. Courts may use the Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines as a starting point.
  • How do I enforce a child support or spousal support order in Alberta if my ex-spouse isn't paying?
    If your ex-spouse isn't paying support in Alberta, you can register your support order with the Maintenance Enforcement Program (MEP), which can help enforce the order by garnishing wages, seizing assets, or suspending licenses.
  • How do I obtain a restraining or protection order in a family violence situation in Alberta?
    Restraining/Protection Orders: In Alberta, you can apply for an Emergency Protection Order (EPO) or a Restraining Order if you are experiencing family violence. An EPO can be obtained quickly, while a Restraining Order requires a court hearing.
  • What is a civil dispute?
    A civil dispute is a disagreement or conflict between parties, typically involving private matters such as contracts, property, or personal injury claims. It does not involve criminal charges or family law matters.
  • How do I file a claim in small claims court in Alberta?
    To file a claim in small claims court in Alberta, you must complete and file a Civil Claim form at the Provincial Court. Make sure to include relevant information about the dispute, the amount claimed, and the relief sought.
  • What is the monetary limit for small claims court in Alberta?
    The monetary limit for small claims court in Alberta is $50,000. The government announced that the civil claim limit will raise to $100,000, effective August 1, 2023
  • How do I serve documents to the other party in a civil dispute?
    Serving documents to the other party involves providing them with copies of your filed documents, such as the Civil Claim form. You can serve the documents using personal service, registered mail, or another method approved by the court.
  • What is alternative dispute resolution (ADR) and is it mandatory in Alberta?
    Alternative dispute resolution (ADR) is a way of resolving disputes outside of court, using methods like mediation, negotiation, or arbitration. In Alberta, ADR is not mandatory, but it can be a faster and more cost-effective way to resolve disputes.
  • How long do I have to file a civil claim in Alberta? What are the limitation periods?
    The limitation period for filing a civil claim in Alberta depends on the type of claim. For most claims, there is a 2-year limitation period from the date the claimant knew or should have known about the claim. Some specific claims have different limitation periods.
  • Can I represent myself in a civil dispute, or do I need a lawyer?
    You can represent yourself in a civil dispute, but having a lawyer can help you navigate the legal process more effectively. If you cannot afford a lawyer, you may seek legal aid or access resources such as the Resolution Services or the Legal Education Society of Alberta.
  • How does the civil litigation process work in Alberta?
    The civil litigation process in Alberta typically involves several stages, including the exchange of pleadings (such as the Statement of Claim and Statement of Defense), document discovery, questioning, pre-trial conferences, and the trial itself.
  • What can I expect at a civil trial in Alberta?
    At a civil trial in Alberta, both parties present evidence and arguments to support their case. The judge (or, in some cases, a jury) will determine the outcome based on the evidence and applicable law. The trial may result in a judgment or an order for relief.
  • Can I appeal a decision made in a civil dispute?
    You can appeal a decision made in a civil dispute if you believe there was an error of law or an unreasonable factual finding. Appeals are heard by a higher court, such as the Alberta Court of Appeal. It is important to note that there are strict timelines for filing an appeal.
  • How do I register a business in Alberta?
    To register a business in Alberta, you need to complete a business name registration and apply for a Business Number (BN) with the Canada Revenue Agency. Depending on your business structure, additional registrations may be required.
  • What is the difference between a sole proprietorship, partnership, and corporation?
    A sole proprietorship is a business owned by a single person, who has full control and responsibility for the business. A partnership is a business owned by two or more people, who share the profits, losses, and responsibilities. A corporation is a separate legal entity with its own rights and responsibilities, owned by shareholders and managed by directors.
  • How do I incorporate a company in Alberta?
    To incorporate a company in Alberta, you must first choose a unique corporate name and obtain a Nuans name search report. Then, you'll need to prepare and file articles of incorporation, along with other necessary documents, with the Alberta Corporate Registry. Finally, you'll need to create bylaws and organizational resolutions for your corporation.
  • What are the reporting and filing requirements for corporations in Alberta?
    A shareholders' agreement is a legally binding document outlining the rights and responsibilities of shareholders in a corporation. It is important because it helps prevent disputes and provides clarity on decision-making, profit distribution, and other key aspects of corporate governance.
  • What is a shareholders' agreement, and why is it important?
    A shareholders' agreement is a legally binding document outlining the rights and responsibilities of shareholders in a corporation. It is important because it helps prevent disputes and provides clarity on decision-making, profit distribution, and other key aspects of corporate governance.
  • What are the key components of a partnership agreement?
    Key components of a partnership agreement include the partners' names and contact information, the purpose of the partnership, the partners' contributions, profit and loss distribution, decision-making processes, dispute resolution, and provisions for adding or removing partners.
  • How do I draft a legally binding contract for my business?
    To draft a legally binding contract for your business, ensure that it contains essential elements such as offer and acceptance, consideration, clear terms, and the intention to create legal relations. It is advisable to consult with a lawyer to ensure the contract meets all legal requirements and adequately protects your interests.
  • What is the difference between an employee and an independent contractor?
    An employee works under the direction and control of an employer, while an independent contractor operates their own business and is contracted to provide services to a company. The distinction is important for tax, employment standards, and liability purposes.
  • How do I protect my business's intellectual property, such as trademarks, patents, and copyrights?
    To protect your business's intellectual property, register trademarks with the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO), file patent applications, and register copyrights when applicable. Also, consider using confidentiality agreements and trade secret protection strategies.
  • What is the process for dissolving a corporation in Alberta?
    To dissolve a corporation in Alberta, you must first ensure that the corporation has paid all outstanding debts and taxes, distribute the remaining assets to shareholders, and obtain the necessary consents from directors and shareholders. Then, file articles of dissolution with the Alberta Corporate Registry and complete any other required filings.
  • What is the process of buying a home in Alberta?
    The home buying process in Alberta typically involves finding a suitable property, making an offer, negotiating, fulfilling conditions such as home inspection and financing, and then completing the transaction with the help of a real estate lawyer.
  • What are the roles of a real estate agent, lawyer, and mortgage broker in a real estate transaction?
    A real estate agent assists with finding a suitable property, negotiating the transaction, and preparing the purchase contract. A lawyer handles the legal aspects of the transaction, such as title transfer, document review, and disbursements. A mortgage broker helps secure financing by finding suitable mortgage options.
  • What is the difference between freehold and leasehold properties?
    Freehold properties grant the owner full ownership and control over the land and any structures on it. Leasehold properties grant the owner the right to use the land for a specified period while paying rent to the landowner.
  • What are the closing costs associated with buying a property in Alberta?
    Closing costs in Alberta may include land transfer tax, legal fees, property tax adjustments, title insurance, mortgage registration fees, and real estate agent commissions.
  • How does the home inspection process work in Alberta?
    a licensed inspector examining the property's structure, foundation, electrical, plumbing, and HVAC systems. The inspector then provides a detailed report on the property's condition, which can help the buyer make an informed decision and negotiate any necessary repairs or adjustments.
  • What is title insurance, and do I need it for my property in Alberta?
    Title insurance protects against various risks related to the property's title, such as title defects, liens, encroachments, or fraud. While not mandatory in Alberta, it can provide additional peace of mind and protection for property owners.
  • How are property taxes calculated in Alberta?
    Property taxes in Alberta are calculated based on the assessed value of the property multiplied by the local municipal tax rate. Property assessments are typically conducted annually by the municipality.
  • What is a Real Property Report (RPR), and why is it important?
    A Real Property Report (RPR) is a legal document that shows the location and dimensions of all structures and improvements on a property. It is important because it helps identify any potential issues, such as encroachments, non-compliance with zoning regulations, or other discrepancies that may affect the property's value or future sale.
  • What is the process for transferring the title of a property in Alberta?
    Title transfer in Alberta involves a real estate lawyer preparing and registering the necessary documents, such as the transfer of land document and mortgage registration, with the Alberta Land Titles Office. Both the buyer and seller need to provide their identification and sign the documents. The process also involves paying any applicable fees and taxes, such as the land transfer tax.
Jade Sunrise Law Logo


Thanks for submitting!

bottom of page